Personal Trainer Columbus Ohio Training - Debbie Reichert Fitness

   Follow Me on Pinterest 
 
  
Home
  
Personal Trainer
  
Fitness Products
  
Clean Eating Workshops
  
Free Healthy Recipes
  
Free Workouts
  
Fit & Healthy Blog
  
 
 

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Healthier Dark Chocolate Muffins



I guess it's muffin week in my house, because this is the second batch of muffins I've made in the past 3 days.  In case you missed the post earlier in the week, you may want to head over and check out the Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip muffins that were consumed immediately upon removal from the oven by my sons and their buddies.



Today, I needed chocolate, and something cakelike, so I surfed Pinterest (duh!!!) and found a healthier version of a dark chocolate muffin.  SCORE!  The original recipe can be found here, at Healthy is always better.  I didn't make a whole lot of changes to this one, except I'm not a big sugar substitute fan, even if it is Stevia.  I just don't like the taste.  I've tried and I'm not feeling it.....weird aftertaste in my opinion and quite frankly I don't want my muffin screwed up yo!!!  So I replaced that with honey and removed the water from the recipe.  Of course I had to add in some ground flax seed because I always add it to my baked goods.  I like flax seed because it contains Omega-3 essential fatty acids, it contains both soluble and insoluble types of fiber.  Recent studies have even suggested that flax seed may have a protective effect against cancer, particularly breast, prostate and colon cancers.  Anyway, I digress.......here's your recipe....and even my gluten free friends will appreciate this one!

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cup oats
3 egg whites
3/4 cup unsweetened cacao
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. pure vanilla
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 TBSP. ground flax seed
3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a regular sized muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.  Set aside.
In a food processor, mix all of the ingredients together, except for the chocolate chips.  Blend until the oats are ground and the mixture is smooth.  Stir in the chocolate chips.
Fill the muffin tins with the mixture and bake for about 12-15 minutes.  Just start watching them closely at minute 12.  If you burn your muffins, you will be sad.  Let the muffins cool for a few minutes before taking them out of the pan.  Then eat them.


Keep in mind that with this, and any other treat, that moderation is key.  This is definitely a healthier version than what you are going to find pretty much anywhere else, but it's still a treat :)  So, don't go eating 3 or 4 at a time..........besides, you'll get a bellyache.  But by using healthier ingredients and not buying processed pre-packaged crap you are doing your body a favor.  That said, alright....go ahead and eat 2.  And then do some burpees.........

In Good Health,
Debbie




15 comments:

  1. Ok, yummy!! Just made these and did mini muffins. Your recipe made 46 and I baked them on 325 for 8 minutes, in a dark muffin pan. Turned out Perfect! Gonna take and share with the tennis teams tomorrow after our match:) thanks for the awesome recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to try these as mini muffins next time. Thank you for the time!!

      Delete
  2. Awesome! I'll update my blog later with the times for the mini muffins as I'm sure others would like to try that as well. Thank you so much and have a great match! Make sure to send everyone to my page ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I got everything in blender only to find out my blender had died....yeah it was a 1970 model that my MIL gave but but still! So I just cooked them with the whole oats. They are definately not pretty but they still taste good to me....I mean come on its dark chocolate and oatmeal how could it not! Jayde

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! So glad that batter didn't go to waste. That would have been a travesty!

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to trying these, but I am currently calorie counting. Did I miss the nutritional info somewhere?

    Thanks!
    Colleen K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colleen and no you didn't miss it. I unfortunately do not list the nutritional info on my recipes. It's not because I don't want to. It's simply because I do not have the time right now. I do my blog and Facebook page for free in addition to my personal training business and job as a mom. If I have extra time, I will certainly consider adding this information but for now the fact that I can get my recipes on my blog is surprising enough ;-) I apologize for the inconvenience, but if you plug in the numbers and get the information and would like to forward to me I will absolutely add it to the post. Thank you for understanding. ~Debbie

      Delete
  5. THESE. ARE. SO. GOOD!!! I hadn't any greek yogurt so i used small curd cottage cheese, and i used 1 whole egg and 1 egg white. I know it has more fat this way (not to mention the walnuts i used in half the batch), but these are so great because they're gluten and wheat free and super decadent! It was like a cross between a piece of chocolate cake and a brownie! Yumm does not do these justice. Thanks so much just what i needed today! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear! Thanks for your awesome and sweet comment Claire!

      Delete
  6. These sound wonderful! One question what would you suggest subbing for the Greek yogurt? I have had to go dairy free in the past few months. Thank I can't wait to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this recipe is actually from dashingdish.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry Katie. I only went by what I got from Pinterest initially so if they didn't give a link back to you then I wouldn't know :-( If you give me the link to your recipe, I'll direct it to your site because I want to give credit where credit is due. I hate it when this happens to my recipes on here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I ran the calories with a couple of adjustments:
    I reduced the amount of honey to 1/2 Cup
    I added 1 TBS coconut oil.
    the total was 2,030 calories, I only got 11 out of it so 184 cals each.
    So if you do the recipe tweaks I did you'd know they're around 184 cal's each!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete